Monday, July 30, 2007

Matthews covers erracticly country

Any fan of "Dave Matthews Band" will get excited to see a tribute CD that recollects one of the best songs of such a great musical group. When I encountered with "A Tribute to The Dave Matthews Band" CD at The Triangle's office, I told one of my colleagues, "my sister is gonna be jealous!"

Thinking that I had the best CD ever, I took it home and the first thing I did after I threw my bag beside my bed was to grab my CD player was to listen the so long awaited album. To my disgrace, I found out that all the songs started as country music. I checked the CD thinking that maybe someone misplaced a couple of CDs in the wrong boxes and Daves Matthews' CD was in some other place. But no, the CD and box matched.

Now confuse, and to my surprise, I realized that the tribute was a remake of the best songs from "Dave Matthews Band." I was disappointed. Though, I decided to give it a second change to the makers of this album. I tried to open up my ears to some real American folk music and forget about the pop-like singers such as Dixie Chick or Shania Twain. It did not turn out bad at all.

The music itself and the instruments played take you back to their Celtic origins. All of the songs are played with a banjo, fiddle (violin), classic guitars and some percussion instruments. Vocalist Travis Stinson, does a great job when breaking his voice a bit to make it sound more like the typical, old-fashioned country songs. The whole album sounded like a soundtrack of a cowboy movie.

Most of the songs have a contagious and danceable double beat that would make anyone stand up and dance. Only a couple of songs slow down a little bit and transform for a moment the cheerful CD into a romantic one. The album includes songs like Where Are You Going, Gravedigger, Ants Marching and Grey Street. This album in particular is great for those who like country music, or folk music, as much as for those who like to try new things or like to experiment with music. It was annoying, though, that in the CD cover there is no indication of the radical change from pop to traditional country music. Such information should be added to avoid that fools like me get high expectations.
© Copyright 2007 The Triangle

No comments:

Popular Posts