Monday, July 30, 2007

Inside the life, home of South American mural artist

I was told by a friend, who works with a cultural organization in Philadelphia, about this person who had just opened an art gallery next to the I-95 and Spring Garden's EL Station. I wanted to interview this person and two more painters who are influenced by Latin-American art. First, the location of the gallery intrigued me, since it is unusual; second, I was curious about this American-born person and his interest in Latin American art, a rare case, at least in Philadelphia.

Getting there was a bit complicated because I got the wrong address. Hyder International Gallery is located on 629 N. 2nd St. I was glad, though, that it was a mild summer, sinec I had to do a lot of walking to get there. When I finally arrived at Hyder Gallery, I was welcomed by Henry Bermúdez (not a relative of mine) who has also worked with Frank Hyder, owner and founder of the art gallery.

I was headed for an interview about the gallery, but I never thought that the journey was going to be more than just looking at a few new paintings. Bermúdez showed me around the first floor. From front to back the walls were recently painted in white, giving a great contrast with the paintings.

Bermúdez said that Hyder was busy talking on the phone and he was coming any minute. I thought it was fair to wait for him, since they waited for me. In the meantime, I lingered in the gallery carefully looking at the paintings. Although, I know little about fine art, especially paintings, I could definitely see the personal style in each work.

Apparently, Hyder told Bermúdez to show me the rest of the house. I didn't know, until Bermudez told me that Hyder and his family live in the same house where the gallery is located.

It wasn't until I got to see the entire second and third floors that I knew why they wanted me to see everything. Walking up and down through this house is literally walking through an artist's mind. Any fine art scholar would want a house with so much space and so much creativity floating in the air.

This ever-presence of art was not only because of the gallery, but also because of the balance of colors and furniture around the house.

The bedrooms are located in the second floor and are decorated in a light and soft blue tones combined with wooden and metal-made furniture.

The kitchen, living room and dining room are located in the third floor. The colors picked for the third floor were solid, strong, bright colors going from yellow to red. To spice up the warmth of this place, Hyder also has wooden furniture on the second floor, adding tropical plants (even small palms) in the ceramic, tile-decorated balcony and Mexican warrior masks on the kitchen wall.

Later, Bermúdez suggested to go to his house, which is right next door, to wait for Hyder. Bermúdez' place happens to be connected to Hyder Gallery through a backyard, which has a small Greco-Roman, greenish pool, filled with fish and surrounded by tropical plants.

We were going downstairs to meet José Alí Paz, another Latin American artist who at the time had an exhibition in a Puerto Rican Center located on 2nd Street and Girard Avenue.

Hyder Galley also has a basement which they use as a depository.

Once we were settled at Bermúdez', drinks and food provided, we went on talking about their experiences in Philadelphia as painters and immigrants and about Hyder International Gallery as a place to shelter foreign artistic talent.

Often we went off on tangents about comical anecdotes regarding art, trips, languages and people they had met.

Finally, we took a look at the attic, the last part I missed from the tour. The attic was transformed into the dream of any artist: a studio! A place amazingly full with sunlight and fresh air and big enough to walk around freely. Hyder said his focus is in Latin American art because that is where his experience and interests relies on.

Hyder also talked about a possible exchange program for art students in the Philadelphia area. They could travel to Latin American countries and learn about a the local art; likewise Hyder will like to have Latin American artist presenting their work in the United States at Hyder International Gallery.

I doubt Hyder will show a stranger his house from the gallery all the way up to the attic like Bermúdez did with me.

But going to the gallery, take a look at the paintings, chat with Frank (if possible), and then maybe having dinner in one of the small restaurants across the street will make it a very nice evening in the growing artistic ghetto spreading from Market Street towards North Philly.
© Copyright 2007 The Triangle

No comments:

Popular Posts